Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Giggle... but I'm just a girl



Think it would be a simple process, no?
It would be had I some testes.
But, alas, I do not, and therefore, in attempting to price out a set of snow tires and rims for my vehicle, I discovered that indeed, we have not come a long way, baby.
Four shops to call — three went without a hitch. And wouldn’t you know it, the only shop that I found difficulty dealing with was also the only shop at which a woman answered the phone.
Same question posed to all four shops: “I’m trying to price out a set of snow tires and wheels for my car. What have you got?”
All the answers came back, a marginal variation in price, but not much.
And then the final call, and the woman answering the phone sounded confused: “Do you want tires and wheels,” she asked.
“Yes,” was the reply.
“Alright, I’ll call you back.”
About 10 minutes later, true to her word she calls and quotes a figure that is about half the cost of the other shops.
“That doesn’t include wheels, does it,” I ask her.
“That’s just tires,” she said.
“I need wheels,” I remind her.
“I’ll call you back with that,” and click, she hangs up.
Then, upon returning from lunch break I see the voicemail light flash, flash, flashing red.
Instead of the confused female voice, it is a male’s voice; Al’s to be exact.
And sitting down at the desk, phone perched against my ear, I listen to him dither on for a good four minutes, explaining to me that, indeed, wheels and rims are the same thing, and that I’ll need tires if I’m to purchase them. Do I have tires, he wondered.
Just another day in the life of a person without testes.
Now I can boast that A. I know the difference between tires and wheels, and B. I know the shop in which I’ll never spend money.
Thanks, tips.

1 comment:

Kelly Watt said...

try 1010tires.com thats all you need to know!