Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Must read



Am I the last one to get on this boat?
Although there is nothing about a boat in the book, there's nothing about a boat involved in my reading said book, and I don't really know what the term actually means, I am sure about one thing.
This novel, set in the 1940s Cajun country, was written in 1997 by Earnest J. Gaines and made the Oprah list so the writer is obviously a cabillionaire now.
A Lesson Before Dying was also made into a TV move or miniseries or some such featuring Don Cheadle. It got a couple of Emmys. I didn't see it, but whatever.
But it is amazing. I didn't want to read it, was reluctant, as I knew there could be no traditionally happy ending, but I plugged on.
Then, last night, as I'm laying in bed reading the end and sobbing like a retard I was so glad I had picked it up. I couldn't stop sniffling and eventually, Ken, who had to get up at 5 a.m. got a bit grumpy with me.
But it was worth it.
Brilliant book, astounding message. Ah, read it. Love it.

1 comment:

Dave Dormer said...

Hey stoner, I couldn't help but notice you posted this at 4:20 in the aft of noon. Puff, puff, give.